Mayo Clinic Health Library Article

 Back to Health Library
Poinsettia plants: Are they poisonous?

Poinsettia plants: Are they poisonous?

Poinsettia plants — A Mayo Clinic specialist explains what you need to know about poinsettia plants.

QAre poinsettia plants poisonous?

,

AAnswer Section

Poinsettia plants are less toxic than once believed.

In most cases, poinsettia exposure causes only discomfort, including:

  • A mild, itchy rash. Skin contact with the sap of a poinsettia plant can cause a rash. If this happens, wash the affected area with soap and water. Apply a cool compress to ease itching.
  • A mild stomachache, vomiting or diarrhea. This can happen after eating part of a poinsettia plant. Severe signs and symptoms are unlikely. If you find a child eating a poinsettia plant, clear and rinse his or her mouth.
  • Eye irritation. If the sap of a poinsettia plant comes in contact with the eyes, they can become red and irritated. If this happens, flush the eyes with water.
  • Allergic reaction. Some people are more sensitive to poinsettia plants than are others. Reactions to poinsettia plants are more common among people who have latex allergies, since latex and poinsettia plants share several proteins. In case of a severe reaction, seek prompt medical attention.

2014-02-19

Find a physician

or Need Help Finding a Physician

Upcoming Events

Stop Tobacco Use Clinic
Thu, Aug 16, 2018 - 05:30 PM - 06:30 PM More
Cancer Survivorship Series: Tai Chi for Better Balance
Fri, Aug 17, 2018 - 02:00 PM - 03:00 PM More
Community Meal
Sat, Aug 18, 2018 - 11:00 AM - 01:00 PM More
View all Events >>